On 8th March 2018, one of our Consultants, Dean Beaumont, attended a CCTV workshop organised by the Institute of Traffic Accident Investigators (ITAI) focusing on the use of CCTV evidence. As an Accident Reconstruction Consultant specialising in CCTV analysis this was a great opportunity to hear about the new developments in CCTV analysis as well as meet others within the field of collision investigation.
- The first presentation was on ‘The Role of CCTV in Collision Investigation’, including an overview of the process for determining the time intervals between frames and the positioning of vehicles, and the calculation of vehicle speed.
- This was followed by a demonstration of ‘SiraView’ software, which can read and analyse the metadata of CCTV footage, as well an overview of SiraView’s new add-on software which can read light board information. TRL use this software already to analyse all forms of video footage.
- Next was a presentation on how photographs can be used to produce point cloud data, which can then be imported into the PC-Crash programme to enable camera matching from CCTV footage to be performed.
- After lunch, write-blocking technology was demonstrated. This is a piece of hardware that allows data to be read from a storage device but prevents it from being modified, crucial in the expert witness world.
- To conclude the day, some image enhancement software was demonstrated which used a variety of filters to manipulate images, including correction of blurred images, number plate enhancement and image stabilisation. This could have potential for our experts who carry out vehicle identification work on behalf of clients.